During this Covid “work from home” and Zoom immersion, we are all exposed to more than we typically see on a day to day basis! The picture at the top of this post was from a Zoom I was recently on, and I saw this “inbox” # of e-mails. It shocked me, but after I posted it, I got several more texts, pics of others inboxes with many more “unread” e-mails! Maybe it’s because I try to follow the Manager-Tools guidance around handling e-mails, but I have a goal of having ZERO in my inbox or at least have it to a point where I see only 1 screen of e-mails.
Take the time to listen to these 4 podcasts that I’ve embedded below…it’s really worth the time investment! An empty inbox really lessens that stress level! And do you REALLY need all those advertisement e-mails??
Here are my Top 5 Key Take Aways from listening to these podcasts and how I now handle my e-mail “inbox”:
- Check your e-mail 3 times per day (AM, Mid-Day, PM) and clear it out!
- Process your inbox, don’t use it as a to do list
- We don’t “do e-mail”, we Communicate, and e-mail is a tool we use to communicate
- Expectations should be to read every e-mail within 24 hours, respond within 48 hours
- E-mail isn’t a replacement for actual conversations, and it’s not the best tool for URGENT communications
Visit the manager tools website for thousands of podasts! They are one of my favorites to listen to while I drive around the Carolinas!